In addition to my academic research, I also write some fiction (quietly) on the side.
I’m very lucky to have been supported by the Irish Writers Centre, who have given so far awarded me two bursaries to aid my writing, in addition to working as one of this year’s Young Writer Delegates at the International Literature Festival Dublin. I also attended the John Hewitt International Summer School as a bursary student.
You can find links to my published short stories below:
- ‘My Dead Sister’s Headphones are Top-of-the-range’, Wretched Creations (February 2021)
- ‘bourbon alibis’, The Honest Ulsterman (February 2021)
- ‘Diana in a lonely place’, The Stinging Fly Summer 2021 (Issue 44 Vol. 2)
I’m so happy to have one of the BEST freelance gigs, namely book reviewing. I occasionally get to write about new releases in the Irish Independent, as well as posting about what I’ve read on Twitter.
You can find my latest book reviews below:
- Sally Rooney, Beautiful World, Where Are You, published by Faber
- Sarah Gilmartin, Dinner Party, published by Pushkin Press
- Alix O’Neill, The Troubles With Us, published by Fourth Estate
- Deirdre Sullivan, I Want to Know That I Will Be Okay, published by Banshee Press
Some writers I’ve been enjoying recently: Wendy Erskine, Jhumpa Lahiri, Eliza Shua Dusapin, Louise Kennedy.